July 13, 2009

Mission: Wedding Jewelry - Accomplished

Let's be honest. Sometimes you are allowed to be super proud of yourself. Exhibit A: I am SO thrilled with how the jewelry for Kelly's wedding turned out, especially considering the story behind it. Kelly asked me several months ago to make necklaces for herself and her bridesmaid sisters. I have been blogging about how I had been going back and forth on ideas for each outfit, and finally allowed the lack of time left to be my final deciding factor. Based on the pictures of Kelly's dress (as posted here), I figured that letting the very lacy and beaded dress do the talking would be the best route to go. This meant sticking with a simple design that could coordinate with a somewhat antique-looking gown. While in San Francisco, I bought a few strands of super cute and dainty 2mm fresh water pearls (that I also used in the bridesmaids necklace, thus achieving some sense of cohesion). My plan was to wire wrap these and bond them between wire wrapped 4mm pearls. This would have worked marvelously if the holes in the 2mm pearls weren't so stinkin' teeny tiny! I couldn't even get my 24 gauge sterling silver wire into them. Darn. So instead I tried out the 4mm pearls along side larger 6-7mm pearls, wrapping them in Sterling Silver wire and positioning them two 4mm for every one 6-7mm pearl. After wrapping about two 7 inch-long collections of mentioned pearls, I connected them together and ended them with wire wrapped freshwater pearl coin disc beads. I remembered Kelly mentioning that her dress had a dramatic back, so I added about a dozen more of the 4mm pearls to the back of the necklace and ended the addition with a larger pearl. The necklace finished with a sterling silver clasp and wire ring. I was grateful that Kelly said she liked the necklace when I gave it to her at the rehearsal dinner, though still didn't know if it would go well enough with her dress. When I saw her before the wedding ceremony, I literally cried - both because she looked so pretty, and because the necklace turned out so well! The bridesmaids necklaces turned out perfectly, too, if I do say so myself. The girls even said they would wear them again, as they seemed to fit their style.
Wedding mission Accomplished!

4 comments:

  1. I agree...they look perfect. Take care ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job matching necklaces with dress styles. Really, the bride's look is so cohesive. Way to go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You most definitely work well under a time crunch....because these are beautiful! I'll bet the bride will treasure her necklace and those bridesmaids necklaces can be worn dressed up or even with a pair of jeans...too cool! :>

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have to be proud! it's a beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete