March 19, 2010

Fashionably Friday: Man Jewelry

So most times I think of "Man Jewelry" I think of really crap-tastic piercings or over-sized tacky gold watches. Or ugly leader-corded pendants and silver rings. ::shiver:: Runways don't usually help the cause. Often accessories take place of clothing all together. Men walk around wearing next to nothing yet carrying around over-sized man-bags. Or wearing heels and a scarf. Only wearing heels and a scarf. I can't imagine it adds to the concept of masculinity. (see image on right for reference). The guys over a ProjectRungay come from a very specific viewpoint and I usually agree with their judgments of said runway trends (which usually end in "E-Gad!"). They recently featured an editorial from Vogue Hommes Japan that not only featured some interesting looking men, but some RAD jewelry. I LOVE the jewelry featured in this spread. And, though I am not usually prone to men in skin-tight beach outfit concoctions, somehow the jewelry takes all else away and all I can focus on is the use of beads and colors! So, if the fact that it's "Man Jewelry" bothers you, take T&L's advice: "Darlings, it's fashion, color and genetically gifted men. What could we possibly add to that? If a picture's worth a thousand words, this should keep you busy for a while." In other words, focus on the jewelry, and, well, ya know. The models ;) But especially the jewelry - LOVE IT! (all images from Project Rungay). My take? I could of course do without the bindi-jewel things on their foreheads. I could do without the stupidly colored hair (though I do enjoy the color composition of all the shots - very spring!). And, since of course most men wouldn't really wear jewelry with a wet suit or a see-through sweater thing (or whatever these "outfits" are), I could do without the weird clothing (though that's what makes it "high fashion," no?). I love the texture contrasts and the vibrant colors. And the beads are GORG. E. OUS. I tired to find the jewelry's source (Rungay only attributes the jewelry to "Passage to India," which of course lead to a thousand unrelated travel sites and what not) and wish I could figure out the story behind the collection. Though I usually find myself in the Less-Is-More camp, I love the layering and stacking of these pieces. If you look closely, several pieces are combined and added with other shots, showing the versatility of the collection (of course any collection that consists of over a few dozen pieces can lead to many options of use!). In other words, I wish that I could not only own these pieces, but that I could make them. Well, I am sure I could if I wanted to invest several thousand dollars in genuine gemstones and hours hunched over my crafty card table. Any takers? Now it's your turn! Time to duke it out! Spill your thoughts (and have a joyous weekend)!

4 comments:

  1. i'm all for colors too... wow look at those light brows makes for the great jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can be convinced to enjoy jewelry on men (well, not my man, but you know...). But, THAT MUCH jewelry on anyone, man, woman, gay, straight, pink hair, black hair ... is a big fat NO in my book. Though, I can see where you're getting your inspiration for your next hot look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay............so individually, there are several great pieces. But, collectively, I'm kind of thinking Mr.T here. I do love all the color though....almost as if all the color in what they are wearing on their bodies and hair lets you See the jewelry all the more. I think I am sensing some inspiration for a summer line for you, no? :>

    ReplyDelete
  4. They kind of look like mermen. :) I enjoy it from a fantasy sort of perspective; it makes for a cool and colorful photoshoot. But no way would I want my husband or dad or brothers dressing like this. No siree.

    ReplyDelete